|About the Book|
Bounded by three rivers and a mountain range, the town of Deerpark lies in the southwestern corner of Orange County. Once the frontier of America, the area took its name from what early settlers called their neighbors fenced tract: McDaniels Deer Park. The town has seven hamlets-Cahoonzie, Cuddebackville, Godeffroy, Huguenot, Rio, Sparrowbush, and Westbrookville-shaped and identified by their geography.Deerpark highlights a community that has what is believed to be the oldest one-hundred-mile road in the country, the Old Mine Road. Appearing in this pictorial history are the Delaware and Hudson Canal, which transformed the town, and the railroad, which spawned a thriving resort industry. Also shown are filmmaker D.W. Griffith, who between 1909 and 1911 made silent movies using the mountains and rivers as a backdrop, and many ancestors of present-day residents.